Wednesday 17 February 2016

GET HIGH

Not everyone can be a long limbed lean goddess or have the muscle definition of a dancer: but everyone does have a goddess or an Adonis inside just dying to come out.
I am no expert on body image issues but this much I do know; the key to looking good is feeling good, and I am certainly not referring to the good feelings post substance abuse. I'm talking about good old exercise induced endorphins. 
Exercise makes me feel good. When I'm running on the treadmill in the gym I feel like a rock star when I look up into the mirror on the wall(pun intended ) in my head at that moment  my body is a combination of Michelle Obama's arms , Jessica Albas abs, JLos butt and Gabriel Unions long legs. At that moment when sweat is pouring out of me faster than my deodorant can contain, I am the best thing since sliced bread, I am the ish.
You see endorphins are your body's way of getting high without you needing to buy anything from a shifty looking guy in a dark alley. Endorphins are opioids much like heroin, cocaine and morphine. The body releases similar hormones during sex; however this is not that kind of blog so I'll move it along and go back to fitness. if you're not sold yet on why exercise is a necessity, these hormones also lower stress levels and significantly lower your blood pressure.
With all this science in my head I exercised at home today, I chose to follow this high intensity interval training video from fitness blender, I was out of breath halfway through the 30 minute video and I only made it to 24 minutes before my muscles couldn't take anymore but I did it and I definitely felt the burn! Who knows maybe tomorrow I will make it to the full 30minutes.
High intensity interval workouts like the name suggests alternate moments of high intensity training with some seconds of rest or low level activity between the sets. This type of workout challenges muscles and keeps burning calories several hours after the end of the workout, if done right one would burn more calories in a shorter time compared to steady endurance training. Best of all it keeps changing so I was certainly not bored.
Why don't you try the workout in the video and get high with me. Don't forget to let me know how you do.

Ps. while I write this I am sipping cold lemon water, oh how far I have come.

 

5 comments: